In this document, we will show you to disable the SSH root login to your server.
A major security hole is to allow direct root access without any restrictions. This is an open door for hackers. They can attempt to brute force your root password and potentially get access to your server if the password can be guessed.
- Login to the server via SSH.
- Open the file “/etc/ssh/sshd_config” in any of your favorite text editors.
- Find the section in the file containing the line with “#PermitRootLogin yes” in it.
- Uncomment and change it to “PermitRootLogin no”.
- Save the file and exit.
- Restart the sshd service.
Disabling SSH Login for Root
The first step is to login to the server. Please note that you need to get more than one terminal access to the server because in case we lost one connection you can recover and get access to the server with the other one.
Open the SSH configuration file with your text editor.
Locate the directive PermitRootLogin,
Uncomment the line and change the directive No.
Save and close the file. Restart the SSH daemon to save the changes by executing one of the commands below,
/etc/init.d/sshd restart systemctl restart sshd service sshd restart
From now on, any attempt to SSH to the server with the root account will be automatically denied.
The SSH login for the root account has been successfully disabled on your server. You will not be able to SSH to server with the root account.If the steps above listed in this article do not resolve your issue, please feel free to open a support ticket and we’d be happy to take a look.
Ready for NVMe Hosting? And you thought SSD was fast...Get started today for $1.00 Promo code: 1dollar
Our Guiding Principles
- Provide consistent, stable and reliable web hosting services.
- Ensure rapid ticket response and quick resolutions to issues.
- Never saturate or over-provision servers to ensure stability and speed for our customers.
- Use only high quality enterprise-class hardware to ensure minimal downtime from hardware failures.
- Provide clear pricing with no hidden fees or gotchas.