In this article we’ll go over some of the differences between a fully-managed VPS and a self-managed or “unmanaged” VPS. Depending on your requirements, you may find that a self-managed VPS could be more expensive for you in the long run.
Fully-managed VPS with cPanel/WHM
A fully-managed VPS provided by VeeroTech functions identically to what you would expect from using “reseller” type hosting. However, there are a few differences. With a fully-managed VPS, you have full use of all of the resources on the VPS: Memory (RAM), CPU & storage space. As with reseller hosting, there are certain aspects that we, as your managed host, maintain:
- Installation, setup & configuration
- Daily R1Soft backups (with cPanel integration)
- cPanel & WHM included
- Softaculous included (application auto-installer)
- CloudLinux configuration (if purchased as an addon)
- LiteSpeed Web Server configuration (if purchased as an addon)
- Firewall & server security
- Server updates
- WHMCS Web Host Billing Software license
- Technical support – identical to shared/reseller level support
- Customization (within the support scope)
- Server optimization
- 24x7x365 monitoring
As you can see from the list above, a fully-managed VPS includes a wealth of features, leaving nearly nothing for you to manage except for your websites. Some hosting providers have specific roles in management for fully-managed VPS’s. However, we feel there should not be a grey area. A managed VPS solution will be thoroughly configured & tested before providing the VPS so you can focus on bringing your applications and websites online as quickly as possible. This methodology has proven to be very successful for both VeeroTech and our customers because it maximizes stability and up-time.
Self-managed VPS (unmanaged)
With a self-managed VPS, all support is handled by you, the server user. Unmanaged servers are better for those who have experience in configuring, securing & maintaining servers & do not require the support of the web hosting provider. The only support we would provide for a self-managed VPS is to ensure the VPS itself has power & connectivity to the internet. You would be responsible for:
- Server configuration
- Server management
- Technical support
- Setting up any websites/applications
In addition to the self-managed responsibilities, if you were unable to perform these yourself, you would be required to utilize a 3rd party server management company or hire a systems administrator to manage your server. The costs of that alone would more than likely be higher than starting directly with a fully-managed VPS. Any software licensing such as cPanel, LiteSpeed, CloudLinux or Softaculous would be additional costs as well.
Have more questions? Feel free to reach out to us any time: Contact UsIf the steps above listed in this article do not resolve your issue, please feel free to open a support ticket and we’d be happy to take a look.
Get 50% off for 6 months on all Shared Hosting plans.
Our Guiding Principles
- Provide consistent, stable, and reliable web hosting services.
- Ensure rapid ticket response and quick resolutions to issues.
- Never saturate or over-provision servers to ensure stability and speed for our customers.
- Use only high-quality enterprise-class hardware to ensure minimal downtime from hardware failures.
- Provide clear pricing with no hidden fees or gotchas.